Surviving Mold Allergies

Posted on: 31 August 2016

If you are allergic to mold, your symptoms can be triggered by a number of items, including damp bathrooms, rainy weather, and outdoor spore levels. Instead of suffering from sinus congestion, sneezing, itchy, and a runny nose, you can take a variety of actions to manage your allergy. Reducing your exposure and using certain medications can make your mold sensitivity less of a problem.

Mold Counts

When the mold count is high, a 50,000 count per cubic meter of air, an air-quality warning will be issued. When the count is that high, you need to spend as little time as possible outdoors. Staying indoors will not benefit you, however, if the mold count in your home is high. In order to control indoor mold, you need to manage your humidity levels and keep them at 50% or lower all day long. You may need to invest in a dehumidifier to accomplish this task. If your bathroom is frequently damp, you need to take steps to correct that. Having a plumber come in and inspect the plumbing is a good idea. You may have a leaking tub or toilet as well as problems with your pipes. Also, invest in good ventilation. If you do not have a ceiling vent or fan, have one installed. 


Some OTC medications work well for mold sufferers. You can now get fluticasone nasal sprays, such as those from Dymista, at your pharmacy or discount store without a prescription. However, in some instances, a stronger version may need to be ordered by your physician. You can also try nasal decongestants and other medications that your doctor may suggest. If you've been tested for allergies, you might undergo immunotherapy, which generally involves getting a series of shots that are meant to boost your immunity so that mold no longer causes you problems. Using a neti pot or saline spray once a day to rinse out your sinuses is often effective in reducing your mold suffering. One or more of these treatments may help you tolerate mold throughout the year. 

Mold is impossible to completely avoid. It can lurk everywhere, indoors and out, but you can reduce your exposure. Carefully monitor outdoor mold levels and lower the indoor levels by reducing moisture in your home. Investing in a plumbing inspection and professional cleaners can certainly help. If you are allergic, you should not be the one scrubbing the mold out of your home. Consult with your doctor for treatment options. When combined, these steps should make mold much less of a concern.